Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Watered down

Everyone seems to hate water levels, but I really am not sure why. What are they just too slow? Do they feel too different from the normal game? Is there physics just a bit too wonky? Do they tend to be under decorated? Personally I always thought water levels added some much needed variety to platformer's gameplay, though perhaps they could use more focus and interesting challenges. But everyone I see on LPs and such are like "WATER LEVELS ARE THE DEVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!" with not so much of a hint as to why. Maybe it's just a fad. Though due to my hack probably having an air meter at some point, I should probably not have any pure water levels.

1 comment:

  1. Water levels aren't SO bad, they're just mega slow and make me want to go to the bathroom, personally.

    You can go nuts with the design of water levels, make cliffs high, make pits low, and all you have to do is press B a few times to get to where you want to go.

    Air meters make swimmy parts of levels that much more fun, hence I put an air meter in mine, and in World 1-1 where you have to swim through oil before the pressure of the mined resource crushes Mario's lungs (so there are plenty of air points).

    ReplyDelete