Wednesday, February 23, 2011

SmallHugePlanet and Scribblenots

I have been playing the PSP version of LittleBigPlanet a bit lately, and although I am locked out from the online stuff and have done very little editing, the story levels are still quite fun, although I find the physics a bit annoying because your jumps can fall short if your run into objects sometimes.

The reason I am locked out so to speak from online stuff is simply I refuse to upgrade my firmware because I am still holding out for some kind of homebrew crack, and it won't let me use the playstation network otherwise. Although really I might as well at this point. I have pretty much given up hope on homebrew, and I do have a laptop for things anyway. Really though, I can't imagine it will add too much to the experience. I would have to pay for most of the interesting additional content anyway, and I am not going to do that if I can help it.

Other then being annoyed at some physics issues and the fact most of the additional content is unavailable to me for now, I am more or less happy with what I got. I really didn't buy it for it's fun story levels and possibly to play with the editor.

Also, a while ago watched videos of someone playing Super Scribblenauts. I have never really been interested in Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts does little to change my mind. Partly I guess it's because I was expecting something like a expanded Drawn to Life. Something where you actually created objects and not just typed them in, or at least drew how they looked like. But thats only a minor problem.

The major problem with Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts is that it's "levels" are barely anything but one screen with one puzzle, and hardly any action. Sure it's fun to pit god and cthulhu in a death match, but thats about the only interesting thing I saw in the games. Another thing I miss is the ability to draw your own hero character in Drawn to Life. I drew Jiggles of course.

The thing that strikes me about LittleBigPlanet and Super Scribblenauts though, is they really are more similar then you might think. They both primarily rely a lot on physics interactions and gadgets to solve puzzles. You would think Super Scribblenauts would be more interesting gameplay-wise because of all the objects you can summon. The thing is, it's not. And I think the reason for that is partly because it doesn't actually give any room to really play with a large number of objects and partly because it doesn't make you work for anything. LittleBigPlanet's actual gameplay outside the editor is nothing more then platforming with occasionally dragging items around or manipulating things in the level. If Super Scribblenauts say, let you summon things only during particular points in a long level when you needed something to fly or to swim, maybe letting you collect new objects as you play, it would be tons more fun looking.

I guess LittleBigPlanet (or Drawn to Life) and Super Scribblenauts are just two entirely different types of games, and I just prefer platforming to "choose the word" puzzles. It just strikes me as boring when "choose the word" puzzles is all you ever try to do. The objects and mechanics in Super Scribblenauts could be used for a lot more interesting gameplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment